Steam Cloud Error Fix: The Steam Cloud allows your games to save your data to cloud storage managed by Steam.
However, sometimes, players encounter a Steam Cloud error that could result from issues with syncing files or a conflict between files.
If this happens to you, and you are worried about losing progress on your game, Try these troubleshooting suggestions.
How to Fix Steam Cloud Error
If you’ve played games offline or switched off Cloud Sync, you will get an error message from Steam Cloud error on games in your library.
- Close Steam, then reload it and try again. Select Retry Synchronization that is located next to the play button. Click this button to make sure that the synchronization process is on.
- Find a solution to this Steam Cloud conflict by synchronizing cloud and local files. (more about this later)
- Verify the strength of your Internet connection.
- Find out the reason Steam is not working. If it’s a temporary problem, it will be fixed within a few hours.
- Examine if your firewall or antivirus blocks Steam not connecting to Steam servers. Could you turn it off and try it out? Try adding Steam as an alternative.
- Restart your routers and modems. If your router or modem hardware has been on for an extended period, issues start to creep into. A fresh start could assist in resolving this Steam Cloud error. If you’re connected to WiFi, try an Ethernet connection to see whether it works better.
- Examine whether other applications are causing obstacles for Steam to connect to the server. This could happen in the case of VPNs or any other program. Make sure you close them all thoroughly before starting Steam.
Steam Cloud Conflict
If there’s a Steam Cloud Conflict (meaning that the local file of the game differ from cloud storage files), Here’s how to fix the
problem of synchronization:
- An options window will ask you whether you would like to transfer files from the Cloud documents to the device you currently use or upload your Local files into your Steam Cloud.
- Be sure to check the date of the last modification, and the window will indicate which dates are OLDER and NEWER.
- The latest version will contain the most current version, but if you prefer to use an older save file for your choices in the game, then go with the older one.
- Choose the version you wish to save, and resolve the issue of cloud sync conflicts on Steam.
This is the location where your Cloud Files are stored locally on your PC
- Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata
- macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/user data
- Linux: ~/.local/share/Steam/user data
Be aware that when playing online games Offline Mode won’t sync until you return online when you play. This is among the reasons why this Steam Cloud error might pop up.